Breastfeeding

The AAP is a resource, not god.

"And people say it's all about choice. But The AAP says "Breastfeeding and human milk are the normative standards for infant feeding and nutrition.  Given the documented short- and long-term medical and neurodevelopmental advantages of breastfeeding, infant nutritionshould be considered a public health issue and not only a lifestyle choice."

The AAP is full of information, stats, and facts. I do NOT believe for a second that feeding your child formula is a public health risk. The AAP also recommends people vaccinate. Many in this country choose not to. Talk about a public health risk. Lets see a record number of whopping cough outbreaks, and oh lets not forget about the increasing numbers of measles and mumps. In my opinion, vaccinations should not be a lifestyle choice. One parents decison not to vaccinate can effect my children's health. What my child drinks for the first 12 months of life has no impact on anyone else. The AAP also recommends not using crib bumpers. People still do. The AAP also recommends no blankets or toys in the crib until age one. People still do it. No juice or TV until age 2. I know plenty of parents to let their once EBF baby drink apple juice and watch tv before the magic age. The list goes on and on. So, while I agree that the AAP is an invaluable source, we all have a CHOICE as parents. Good parents educate themselves and make a decision that's best for their family. And, as long as a mom has her childs best interest in mind, I really don't care what she feeds him/her, whether she works, what kind of diapers she uses, or when she starts solids. Also, I've been called anti-breastfeeding by a few on this board. That is NOT the case. I think breastfeeding is wonderful. I'm actually not anti-anything. I'm pro-doing whatever makes mommy and baby happy.