Breastfeeding

Considering EP

I've had issues breastfeeding from day 1.  I keep thinking it's going better, sometimes it does for a little bit, but then I find out he's not gaining enough, etc.  I am using a nipple shield, have been unable to wean from it.  I'm currently breastfeeding, pumping, then giving the milk in a bottle for each feeding (I wasn't pumping overnight but after a disappointing LC visit today I will start).  I've been taking fenugreek for 5 days (LC said it should work in 2 or 3) and haven't noticed a real difference in my supply.  Today I went to LC hoping for good news and everything was the same as it had been on Tuesday, except we determined I should be giving 1.5 oz in each bottle instead of 1 oz (even with the bottle he isn't gaining what he should be).  I'm so discouraged I'm thinking of trying to just EP, but I've never even really pumped to replace a feeding so I'm unsure if I could even pump enough to keep up.  I really don't want to EP as I feel like I would miss out on the cuddles and closeness.  I'm just so discouraged right now.  The LC today made it sound like it could be more of a problem of DS being unable to efficiently eat from the breast since I'm able to pump 1 - 1.5 oz after each feeding.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?  Or have any advice?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml