July 2012 Moms

Define Family

So, in the midst of this ongoing situation with MIL, I'm just curious, fellow Bumpies: How do you define "My Family"?

As MIL & I have discovered, we define My Family very, very differently. Since getting married, I redefined My Family from my parents, myself, & siblings to myself & my husband (& our fur-babies, of course!). Since having DS, obviously the definition has evolved & DS has been added with myself, my husband, & our fur-babies. My MIL informs me that this is not the case. My Family should include her, her husband (DHs stepfather) & BIL. *I noticed how, in her definition, she failed to mention DHs actual dad who raised him & his wife, who are very much a part of our lives. So, by her definition, I would also have to define it to include my parents & siblings on the same 'plane' because it's not right to exclude some parents, but not others. I refuse to play favorites. I refuse to have someone else tell me how I need to define My Family to myself.

Before DH & I were married, I first identified myself as M, daughter of T & A. When I got married, I redefined myself: M, wife of P, daughter of T & A. Since having had DS, again, I have evolved: M, wife of P, mother of W, daughter of T & A. I feel like, in my life, I have had to redefine myself accordingly. I don't see why it wouldn't also be the case for My Family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml