Breastfeeding

Oversupply/overactive letdown and tandem nursing a toddler?

Hey ladies!  I'm guessing this is the best place to post this question.  I'm hoping someone has experience with this, since it involves an uncommon combination of two not very common things.

I'm still nursing my almost 15 month old, and I am not in a hurry to wean him.  I may or may not still be nursing him when my next baby is born in June.

For the first few months with my son, I had a severe oversupply/overactive letdown.  I could easily pump 8 ounces out of one side after his feeding, and often there was more in there after that.  It would squirt all over the place if he unlatched, and he had horrible gas and explosive diarrhea.  I felt terrible for him.  And it was very rough on me as well.  I found some ways to improve it, but only time really helped.  After about 3 months everything was going smoothly.

I have heard that if you have an oversupply problem, you will have it with every pregnancy.  I hope this isn't true, but I'm thinking that it is.  My question is, if I happen to still be nursing my son when my next baby is born, will the oversupply not be an issue since my body isn't suddenly producing milk?  I know that your body knows to produce milk because it knows it just gave birth, but I wonder if it will just produce enough to feed the baby without going haywire.  If that's the case, I may just pump once or twice a day if my son decides to wean just so I don't have to deal with that whole fiasco again!

Hopefully one of you has experience to share!  Thanks! =]

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml