South Florida Babies
Options

Voluntary Simplicity- Realistic with Kids?

My husband and I have a Real Estate business in South Florida, so we are constantly around other families that are upgrading into bigger homes, especially when they have another child.

I have no judgement on these families whatsoever. It's just that my husband and I are really on a simplicity kick. We almost have our small two bedroom condo paid off and have a two year old. Now that we are thinking of having baby number two, the question is how long can we stay here and is it realistic?

If we stay, once we finish paying off the condo, we can have extra money to do things that we want to do: travel, work less hours, etc. If we buy another house, it means another mortgage to pay off and working for a long time to do so.

Part of me tells me that I am being ridiculous because there are so many parts of the world where there are families of 10 crammed into a two-bedroom house. But I think our society is constantly telling us the opposite is true and that we "need" to spend and get into debt in order to be "successful."