Single Parents

How to handle ex-inlaws?

Hello ladies! I would love some insight into this, if possible.

Lately, my (soon to be) ex-family has really been worrying me. Before my husband and I separated, it was already something that concerned me, and now that we are getting a divorce that fear has grown even more for me. Without getting into the gritty details, my husband's relationship with almost all of his immediate family is very strained. I really don't know anyone in his family well enough to say anything for sure, but from our time together it seemed like everyone has distanced themselves from him for various reasons. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure they had good reason.

My husband is part Korean, through his mother, which means my daughter is also a part as well. I would love for my daughter to be able to learn about that side of her history, but the two have not spoken in at least a year (if not longer). He had a lot of animosity towards her our entire relationship, and it seems like she must have some for him as well. I have met her only once, when we were dating, and she said all of 5 words to me. Since then, she has not reached out to us once, even after our daughter was born.

It is my hope that she would want to have a relationship with her, since this would be her first grandchild, but I'm not really sure where to go from here. Before, when we were together, I left it up to him how we dealt with his family, but now that we're getting a divorce I am wondering if I should say something?

Since the separation, my ex has not seemed interested in trying to be on good terms with one another, and I know this will be hard on our daughter. I don't want to cut out a huge side of her family along with that. My family is small, but very close-knit, so I know she would get enough love, but my fear is that she will grow up with a huge question mark on her dad's side...

Sorry for the huge dump, but I don't know anyone I can ask. Personally, I am adopted, so I suppose I grew up just fine not knowing about either of my birth parents' backgrounds... but it just seems different when you *could* know, but can't. :/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml