Breastfeeding

Should I wake my baby at 3 months to eat??

My LO will be 3 months old next week and I have struggled from day 1 but continue to bf.  He wasn't sucking properly, which caused me to not make enough milk.  His issue has improved, my supply has improved, but it is still not as much as I would like, and we supplement with formula.  He usually gets 4-6 oz of formula a day. 

He started STTN, which sounds great to some, but I would prefer that he wake up to nurse and he occasionally does, but not all the time.  He is sleeping from 9 p.m. until 5:30 a.m.  I feel like (and maybe I am wrong) if he was nursing more frequently we could eliminate that formula supplement.  I think he only gets about 2 -2.5 oz per nursing session, but that would probably be enough if he was eating more frequently, right? 

During the time I am away from him he is getting 3 bottles - 4 oz each and 2 of them are breast milk and one is formula because I can only pump 8 oz when I am at work.  The rest of the time I am nursing, but that usually just means I nurse at 5:30 a.m., 7:30 a.m., and then in the evening at about 7 p.m. and 9 p.m., and then he goes to sleep for the night!  And, he has enough dirty/wet diapers, but he has only gained 5 oz in the last 2 weeks, so that is not as much as the guidelines say he should gain. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers