Breastfeeding

six week bleed while EBF... anyone else? was it your period?

Sorry if this is something that gets asked a lot.

My daughter is 6 weeks old today and after a few days of no lochia (and no red lochia for a couple weeks), I suddenly had a lot of bright red blood this morning :( We are EBF and have never gone more than 4 hours without a feed, and she doesn't get a pacifier.

This was the only non-anecdotal information I could find on it- http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?30389-quot-6-week-bleed-quot-in-nursing-moms

Everything else Google gave me was just other Q & As, or didn't specify whether the mom was BFing or not.

Did anyone else have this? In your experience, was it really the return of menses for you? Did you get any good information from your doctor/midwife/lactation consultant or other sources on it?

We haven't had sex yet (well, not successfully anyway) but I was really, really hoping to rely on lactational amenorrhea for a while. My doctor gave me a prescription for the mini pill but I was hoping not to have to take it.  I'm fearful of doing anything that has even a slight chance of messing up my supply. Plus, hormonal BC has always given me gross side effects. But now, this is scaring the crap out of me that I'll be fertile again really soon.

BabyFruit Ticker