C-sections

Would you ask for a c-section?

1 in 400 children born to a mother with HPV 6 or 11 (strains that causes genital warts - NOT herpes) will be infected with RRP (warts in the throat) requiring surgery for removal as little as 4 a year to as often as every 2 weeks. Having an active outbreak at the time of a vaginal birth increases this risk by 200%. It is indicated that transmission is greatly increased if this is the first outbreak as well as the mother's first born child. However, having a c-section has not be proven to completely eliminate the risk, only decrease it, as the HPV virus can be found in the amniotic fluid even without an active outbreak. Most obgyn's will not perform c-sections based on the presence of genital warts caused by HPV alone, due to the fact that there is not enough evidence to suggest enough of a decreased risk of transmission. All of this information I have found in established medical journals and studies.

As I do currently have an active outbreak (my first, didn't know I had it till I got pregnant), and this is also my first born, statistically my odds are increased by 200%. As it stands they consider 1 in 400 to be "rare", however to me that sounds like 1 too many children who are affected. I am trying to decide if I should push for a c-section, despite the fact that my son could STILL be born with this virus. It's horribly upsetting that there is nothing I can do to eliminate the risk entirely, and I feel absolutely awful. I've only been with one other person consensually besides my husband, so it isn't like I slept around, and I still got HPV. It's depressing to find out during a time that should be so happy, and I am so sick with worry for my son.

Would you opt to a c-section if given the choice? I had planned on a vaginal birth with no pain meds, but I am willing to do anything to reduce his risk. No one else seems to think that a c-section is worth it though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml