C-sections

Success at BF after C-section & Ramping up your supply

Hi fellow C-sectioners!

A quick backstory-I knew I was going to have a c-section due to placenta issues from early on.  I was hospitalized and had a c-section scheduled at 35 weeks.  Baby decided to come earlier so my scheduled c-section quickly became an emergency c-section.  I knew all along I wanted to BF.

After the baby was born, he was whisked away for observation.  The fantastic lactation consultants visited me soon after and we started pumping 5 times a day in addition to latching baby on every 2 hours! Yes, that may seem like a lot, but here I am 9 months later with a fridge stocked with frozen milk and a supply that shows know sign of wanning.  Baby (despite being a preemie and not in my arms immediately after birth) took to nursing like a pro.  Yes, there was a lot about nursing that I had to learn and sometimes it was more difficult than I would have liked, but it can work!  

Even after I was released, I kept pumping 5 times a day (after the baby would quit nursing) for about 3 weeks following delivery.  Yes, as I mentioned previously, that's a lot and it took up a great deal of my time. But, it was worth it.

Anyone that is planning on BF, I just wanted to let you know that this can work!!  Good luck and enjoy those new babies!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml