Breastfeeding

Weaning from breast shield

I am using the 20mm Medela nipple shield for breastfeeding due to latch problems.  Nipples are somewhat short and areola fairly large, not sure what the exact problem is but I think it has to do with nipples not being 'out far enough'.  We started using it when he was like 8 hours old and he didn't really latch successfully before that.  Between 3 and 14 days we had a handful of successful feedings on each side where we didn't use the shield, but otherwise we've had to use it for every feeding.  LO is now 3 weeks and 2 days old.  I do the 'nipple sandwich' and also try to pull the nipple out as much as possible but it really doesn't seem to do the trick.  He roots around and sort of finds the right spot, half-latches for 1 second, then gives up and lets go and starts rooting again.  If I try to hold him still on the right spot he just fusses until I let him move away.  I think the shield is just easier and so he sort of holds out for it, and I give in pretty quickly because I don't want him to get super frustrated.I am interested in weaning off the shield as soon as possible since it is such a pain to use in public, but I don't have any other reason for weaning than just not liking using it...he is nursing great and I will gladly use the shield as long as necessary if that's the only way we can get the job done.  When and how did you wean from the shield? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml