Breastfeeding

Helpful tips to avoid supply issues with breastfeeding baby#2?

So with DD1, the first 2 weeks, I was overly full and so the thought of having supply issues never occurred to me. I was constantly leaking milk. I did have to use a nipple shield for the first 2-3 months since I could not get DD to latch properly so I'm sure this probably affected my supply but not sure how much??

By the time DD was 3 months, my breasts felt completely empty and like jello unless it was morning where I actually felt like I had milk in there. When I would nurse though, I could feel the milk come though and that would last like 3 minutes and then DD would get fussy and even with me manually trying to express milk, there was nothing..She would stay on the breast for a while since most sessions were 45 minutes but I don't think she actually got much since she was still hungry after. Also, DD would freak out and cry after every nursing session (unless it was the morning one, obviously she was getting milk at this one) and she would nurse every hour, sometimes would make it to 2hours. I know this is normal for newborns but by the time they are 3 months old, I assume every 2-3 hours would be more normal then every 1-2hours..

I did not try fenugreek because I had heard it could make babies gassy and DD was extremely colic so I wasn't going to chance making it worse. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to refuse the nipple shield, pump more at the first few weeks to hopefully create more of a supply but would like to know if anyone has any helpful tips on how to successfully EBF for a year. TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml