Babies on the Brain

Thoughts on race (and relationships)

I was talking with a co-worker and she asked me if MH and I ever had any problems because we are an interracial couple.  I didn't know what to say, so I was like "no".

I've been thinking about it all morning, and I realized that in the 7 years we have been together I have never thought of us as an interracial couple although we technically are.  I'm a first gen HAPA, but I was rasied culturally white by my very white mother.  I went to a (mostly) white prep school and university.  I've traveled all over the world, and in Asia I am for sure thought of as a white American- not a fellow Asian.  I don't look white, but I also don't fit the Asian stereotype either.

So, it occurs to me that although I am equally white and asian many people only consider the non-white portion of me to count.  I guess, what I'm thinking is that culture is more relevant for me than race.  I don't deny my asian side, but I don't really identify with it either (my dad died when I was a child, so he didn't really influence my up bringing). 

Am I the only one who thinks this way? What do you guys think about race vs. culture?

m/c 1.13.13 @ 9 weeks m/c 11.11.12 @ 5w2d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.