1st Trimester

Mother-in-Law Question

My husband and I had our first disagreement since we found out we were pregnant last night.  His mother called and offerred to stay with us for a few weeks after the baby is born.  I told him that I really preferred my mother to help me out my first week or so.  To my surprise, he was really offended by this and accused me of not liking his mother.

My MIL and I do not have a bad relationship.  She is a very nice person.  However, she is very controlling and pushy.  When she visits, it always seems like she is criticizing my weight, my cooking, and my housekeeping skills (of course my husband is oblivious).  To make matters worse, she was a stay-at-home mom who cooked everything from scratch (including grinding her own wheat to make bread).  I do not plan to stay home (although I would love to if I could) and she does not agree with my decision.

Although I really appreciate the help, I do not want to add anymore stress to my first week.  I don't want to hurt my husband's or his family's feelings, but.....  Not sure what to do.  Help!