Breastfeeding

Having dental work done, breastfeeding help!

Hi Everyone!

I mostly post on the 3-6 month board, and the Nov 2011 board, but I have a specific breastfeeding question hopefully you ladies can help me out with.

I?m having some dental work done. One of the things is I?m getting my wisdom teeth removed. I should have done it a long time ago, and now I?m in pain and they need to come out. My LO will be 6 months old when I get it done. They are putting me on meds to sedate me- so obviously I can?t breastfeed while on those meds. I don?t have much of a freezer stash built up since he feeds off of me, and what I do pump goes to daycare with him. So I?m thinking we?ll have to feed formula while I?m on the sedation drugs, and the pain medications. I?ll get off the pain meds as soon as possible and go to regular ibuprofen so I can nurse. I want to make sure he doesn?t get any of the meds I?ll be taking.

So I?m worried about a few things. He gets a bottle 2-3 times a day right now at daycare (he?s only there for 6ish hours) then he nurses off me when we?re both home for the day. So far, no confusion or problems at all. I am worried if he goes 2-5 days with what frozen milk we have and formula (that I?m not excited about) only taking the bottle, he won?t want to nurse off me any longer.

I?m also concerned about my supply. One because I?ll be on medications, and two because I guess I?ll have to pump and dump to keep my supply up?

Our original breastfeeding goal was 4 months, he?s 5.5 months now and I?m not anywhere close to ready for him to stop. I feel like it?s JUST becoming enjoyable, doesn?t hurt any more, etc. Plus it?s my way of being close to him after I am at work and he?s at daycare all day. I hate being away from him!

Any advice anyone can offer about supply, sedation, supplementing, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks Ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image