3rd Trimester

Because y'all really care...my birth preferences:)

I just thought I'd share it. Last time it wasn't terribly long, but I cut out A LOT this time around. Mostly because much of it was hospital policy (that I was either happy with or realized it didn't bother me so much after all. My L&D nurse was completely on board with it and not freaked out or insulted by what I gave her. 

I thought I'd share, and I'd be curious to see others' as well! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

We have created this document to outline some of our preferences for birth. We understand that there may be situations in which our choices may not be possible, but we hope that you will help us to move toward our goals as much as possible. We do not want to replace the medical personnel, but instead want to be informed of any procedures in advance, and to be allowed to give informed consent. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or share any comments. Thank you!
*****PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT KNOW THE SEX OF OUR BABY. PLEASE LET MY HUSBAND MAKE THE ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE DELIVERY ROOM*****
Labor
? I would prefer a hep lock [Note: my doctor has already insisted on an IV, but I'll at least try when I get there!]
? I would prefer intermittent monitoring (20 minutes/hour?), at least during earlier parts of labor. [My friend was able to do 45 on and 15 off at the same hospital before she got her epi, so I probably won't get more than what she got]
? Please discuss all procedures with me before they are performed
? I hope to practice hypnosis techniques during labor
? Please knock before entering

Labor Augmentation
? I would like to avoid induction unless medically necessary
? If induction is necessary, please attempt with prostaglandin or other means before pitocin is used
? Please do not rupture my membranes artificially unless medically indicated

Anesthesia
? Please do not offer anesthesia/analgesia unless I ask for it. I am not against pain medication, but I?d like to postpone it as long as possible.

Perineal Care
? I would rather tear than have an episiotomy. 

Delivery
? I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
? I want the option to push without holding my breath if I so desire. 

In the event of a Cesarean Section Delivery
? Please do not bathe my baby before it is brought to me. We would prefer to do it ourselves AT HOME.

Immediately after the birth
? PLEASE LET MY HUSBAND ANNOUNCE THE SEX OF THE BABY
? Skin-to-skin immediately after unless there is a medical reason for baby to go to the nursery (i.e. meconium)
? Breastfeed!
? I?d like to wait for spontaneous delivery of the placenta?no pitocin if it is not already being administered.

****Newborn Care****
? I would like to hold our baby immediately after delivery and through any procedures/evaluations if possible.
? Use skin to skin to regulate body temp. My first baby had ?issues? with low body temp, but she was miserable and inconsolable in the isolette under the heat lamps. It was very upsetting for me. I have a normally low body temp, so it does not surprise me that my child may as well. 
? I will bathe our baby myself, at my discretion.
? I would like to defer the Hepatitis B vaccination and prefer to receive it at a pediatric appointment. 

Postpartum Care
? I would like my baby in our room at all times. I know the nurses mean well, but there is no need to offer to keep baby overnight in the nursery just so I can sleep. 

***BREASTFEEDING***
? I plan to breastfeed and will nurse immediately after birth.
? Please do not give our baby supplements (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without seeking my consent.
? Please do not give our baby a pacifier or artificial nipple.
? I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant.

Additional notes
? If baby is a boy, we are planning for him to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.