Breastfeeding

When is it time to give up??

My baby is 4 weeks old today, and I have been struggling with a low supply from the start.  I have been trying many things to increase my supply and still am having no progress.  Is there a time when it is too late and my supply will not increase? 

I fully intended on breastfeeding until my LO was around 1, but unfortunately, my supply is not cooperating.  I am having a really hard time with the thought that my plan will not workout, but I also wonder if it is time to accept reality and give up hope. 

If anyone has had a similar experience and managed to increase their supply after this point, PLEASE comment!  I could use some reason to continue!  In case any of this info is helpful, I have PCOS which I think is at least partially the reason for my low supply.  I took reglan and started mothers milk special blend on Monday.  I have increased my water intake and working on increasing amount I am eating (wasn't eating enough right after his birth).  I am nursing and pumping and having to supplement with formula.  I met with a LC and she weighed him before and after eating and he only got 1/4 ounce of milk from me, which I don't feel like it has increased much because he still takes all of the formula I offer after nursing.  I had one hopefully morning where I woke up and my breasts felt full for the first time, but then he nursed (and didn't need formula) but that never happened again.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers