3rd Trimester

Declined more ultrasounds - Opinions please.

Hello.  This is going to be a little long, but hopefully you can give me your honest opinion.

At my NT scan (12 weeks) everything was perfect with the baby. No risks or abnormalities

At my A/S scan (19 weeks) they said everything was great but they wanted me to come back because they couldn't get a great view of the heart and they wanted to look again... but for me not to worry because everything looked fine, the baby just wasn't in the right position for the best view.

When I returned at 23 weeks, they told me that the baby had a small Atrial Septum Defect (80% sure). This is a small hole between the top two heart chambers.  They said that it is on the minor side and that the baby will be delivered fine, its not life threatening and it may not need any repair or if a repair is needed it can be done without being an open heart surgery in the future. But they wanted to see me again in 4 weeks.

Yesterday at 27 weeks, they took another look but were having a really hard time getting a good view of the heart. Now they're saying that the same defect appears to be present but there is also another possible problem with the arteries... I can't remember.  Too many details.  They wanted to send me to the university of MD for a second opinion.  

So I asked things like: " will this affect delivery?" "Is it life threatening?" "could this cause a still birth?"  And once again, the doctor said no, this may just mean that the baby needs to be seen by a cardiologist as soon as he's born for evaluation and may possibly need surgery, but he strongly doubts it would need to be done at birth because the heart is still pumping the blood fine and blood is flowing in the right direction.... etc.

So I asked:  Then what is the point of going for a second opinion?  I declined it because I find it pointless to keep doing these expensive tests when we already know there is a problem that will need to be evaluated at birth. If it is not going to alter the way they proceed with labor, I didn't think there was a need.

They're also telling me that I have too much amniotic fluid at 27cc's... which could be contributing to the bad view of the heart... and they want to see me again in 4 weeks to see the fluid levels again.  I'll go to that, but I don't want to keep probing my belly for the heart....

What would you do in my situation?

My Baby BoyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image