Breastfeeding

latch has become painful

Ok, here is some background on my situation....

My son was born 6 weeks early and spent 15 days in the NICU.  Breastfeeding has been a challenge for us, as feeding in general has been difficult.  His stay in the NICU had a lot to do with his feeding, he had a feeding tube 13 of the 15 days in there.  We had to give him bottles (of breast milk) because it was easier for him.  I did start breastfeeding around day 2 with him but it has been a slow process.  While in the hospital he only "tried" breastfeeding about once a day.  I worked a lot with a lactation consultant and she said we can't expect him to truly breastfeed until his due date (April 30).  Once home I was told to try breastfeeding most, if not all, feeding and finish with a bottle.

Well, this last week he has done really well and has been taking less of his bottle after (which means he's getting more from me).  Starting last night, breastfeeding has become very painful.  He seems to be getting a good amount of milk (maybe more than he has) but I can't handle having him to be on for more  than 15-20 min because of the pain.  It is teeth clenching pain for me, and has never been like this).  I do use a nipple shield and his latch seems to look like it always has.  Any idea for me....?  It is normal to be more painful when he is actually pulling more milk now (to start?).  I just am lost on what to do because I want this so bad, but the pain is also so bad.

Thanks for your support and help! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers