Breastfeeding

Freezer Stash

Hello ladies!  I have a few pumping related questions:

1. ) I am going to be returning to work in about 6 weeks, and I was wondering how much milk would be considered a good freezer stash?  I'm going to be working 3 eight hour shifts per week.  I plan to pump at work as frequently as my little guy would be eating; however, I work in an emergency room and I'm dreading that there may be days when I might not be able to get away as often as I would like.  I have a deep freezer and space is not really an issue.

2.) I currently pump after nursing my son, and I get about 2-3 ounces.  Is that a good amout after nursing, or am I having a supply problem?  I noticed that I did have a drop in supply when my baby was about 10 weeks old, but I think that was just my body regulating to what he actually takes.  I was producing enough for triplets before. 

3.) Does anyone have any experience with excess lipase in their milk?  I have discovered that this is an issue for me, so I have started scalding my milk before freezing.  I also discontinued my DHA supplement because I read that some moms noticed that the DHA seemed to exacerbate their lipase issue.  Is there anything else I can do to try to correct this problem?  Are there any dietary or herbal supplements that  are known to help?

I have to just give a PSA for some ladies who may not know about this, but please please please check your milk if you're freezing it!  If you have excess lipase the milk will have a soapy taste, or taste rancid like vomit.  It is fine to feed your LO, but your baby,like mine, may be reluctant to take it.  The LC I talked to said scalding the milk deactivates the lipase, so I'm doing that now, as I start all over with making myself a freezer stash.  There is nothing that can be done to fix the taste of the milk once the lipase has broken down the fats.  I found out about this after I had saved over 700 ounces of milk!  I wish I would have known!  I started out EP because my baby was a preemie and didn't nurse very well to start, and he got bottles. (We EBF now!)  I just kept pumping to maintain my supply, and saved all of the extra milk, which he won't take. 

Also, if you discover that you are a mommy with excess lipase, please know that milk banks will still accept your milk.  It is mixed with the milk of several donors, so the taste problem is diluted out.  I am donating a large portion of my stash to the milk bank here, and saving some of it to try to mix it with fresh milk and maybe dilute the taste for my own little guy.  I realize that a stash of 700 ounces is excessive, anyway.

Thank you for your help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml