3rd Trimester

Less is More & No Plastic Toys Please

How can I politely tell people (ahem, my MIL) that I do not want any plastic toys for LO?  I mean, I have told her that I only want wood toys, but I don't think she is taking me seriously.  

Also, I do not want her to shower baby with toys. I want minimal toys in his nursery, but she tends to be the type that goes the route of quantity over quality. For example, she loves to give everyone 20 irrelevant Xmas gifts, and I have explained to DH that I do not want baby growing up getting 30 things at the holidays.  Not to mention I am of another religion and will want to celebrate my holidays with 1 gift, as my family has always done.  I don't want baby seeing that on mom's holidays he gets 1 gift and on Xmas he gets overloaded by his crazy but well meaning grandmother.  

I am very bad at flat out telling people things (although I've explained the wood toy thing very thoroughly).  I was going to leave this to DH since it's his family we would be dealing with when it comes to excessiveness, but for some reason I don't think he is going to uphold it as seriously as I want to.

Any advice or tips from similar situations?