Single Parents

Baby's Last Name.....?

I've posted on here a couple of times...but in case you ladies don't remember...

I am due to have my first baby April 20.  Her dad and I dated for little over a month before I found out I was pregnant...while we are both very excited about her upcoming arrival, we are on different pages about our relationship as a couple.  As it stands now, we don't see much of eachother.  I'm still working like a dog (I'm a chef) and he is a college student trying to succeed with his studies.  He has long term aspirations of us getting married, having a white picket fence and a sweet little family, etc...and I'm on the other side of the fence.  I don't aspire to marry hiim, nor do I really care to move in with him (we still live separately, against his wishes).  I don't feel in my heart like there is a future for us as a couple, but I have been holding out hoping that I will have a change of heart once the baby arrives, like I'll magically appreciate him or fall in love with him or something equally unlikely.

So here's my question...When we were deciding on her name, I agreed against my best wishes to give her his last name.  He said it was more "stable" that way (doesn't make sense, I know).  I didn't really want to at the time, but I sort of rolled over and allowed it.  So as it stands, her name will go "Emily (my last name)(his last name).

Now I'm having my doubts about this.  I know that having his last name realistically means nothing in terms of child support, custody, etc.  But I WILL be the primary caregiver, she will live with me, and I feel like it is becoming increasingly important to me for my daughter to have the same last name as me.  The issue is that he feels the same.

Any advice on what I should do? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml