Austin Babies
Options

bored? help diagnose my BF issue? long

Here is where we stand:

-no noticeable lumps/clogged ducts, but generalized tenderness on each breast (to where it hurts to hold DD over my shoulder), more on the left than the right, and a SLIGHT bit of redness on lefty no bigger than a quarter in diameter

-no fever, but I do have general body aches that come and go.  I had mastitis twice before, and this seems to be different b/c of the lack of obvious signs (fever/clogged ducts).  Oh, and it does not seem like thrush b/c I'm not having that stabbing nipple pain

- Sometimes DD will nurse like a champ from each side, but sometimes she will stop and unlatch/re-latch/unlatch, turn red (as if she's straining to make a diaper), then cry out.  I'll burp her, she'll burp and spit up a good amount and then immediately want to eat again and then the whole cycle starts again.  She does this from both sides, but more often w/ lefty.  Thankfully it's usually after she has eaten for a few minutes so I know she's getting SOME thing.  She usually then sucks a little more and then falls asleep.  She also has been her typical laid-back self a lot too - it's not like she's been super fussy or irritable.

- I was having an oversupply issue (w/ lots of choking) but that is no longer the case.  she IS getting milk b/c I can squeeze it out very easily and I can also hear her swallowing.  At the suggestion of the LC from the hospital, I put a small amount of cabbage on the reddish area of lefty and it seems to have helped a little w/ the redness/pain.  Also, she suggested putting ice on my breasts after feedings to help in case DD is not TOTALLY emptying each side, so I've done that a few times.  I've also tried changing up the nursing position (going from cross-cradle to football) and that does not help.  I would say about 30% of our feedings end with her crying/spitting up/latch/unlatch, etc. And it's like a mad cry, like "how dare you take that away from me!"

-she IS sleeping longer stretches at night (4-5 hrs) but I'm hesitant to pump b/c I don't want to tell my body to make more milk than she needs at night - is that wrong? And if I do pump, how long should I to avoid confusing my supply?

Any ideas?  If you made it this far, thank you.  And for those that will recommend Cheryl - a few questions for you:

-how quickly can she get you in?  

-does she take credit cards?

I'm worried that if I don't act fast I'm going to somehow mess up my supply since she is not eating as much as she used to.

Thanks for any advice - I'll be checking back later tonight.  :)