Single Parents

Visitation Before Paternity Establishment

I have maintained since the beginning of my pregnancy that I want the father involved. But, now he's asking for DNA testing and has said he doesn't want to get emotionally attached to a child that isn't his. (Read, I have to have SOME control over this situation!) So, I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I even tell him the baby has been born? Should I allow him to come to the hospital if that's what he wants? Do I bring up visitation, or do I not even mention or offer it...let him be the one to broach the subject?

If he does, because of our OTHER issue, where he's threatened to take him from me regardless of who has custody, should I not even allow him to see him at ALL? Part of me thinks that's wrong. That I want to appear as open as possible. But, I'm still panicky over the whole thing. I know that I will NOT let him have Alien without me being there in the same room with them at a location of MY choosing. Am I making Alien to inaccessible by making those requirements? Are my requirements justifiable given kidnapping threat, empty or otherwise? Or, if he's interested, should he make the concessions, not me?

We aren't married, and I won't allow him to sign the AoP regardless of DNA testing. Texas also requires DNA testing to go through them, so it'll be 15-18 mos before we even get seen at court to establish paternity. I'll have SOLE physical and legal custody from BIRTH. It's not a legality issue. It's a morality one, and I'm lost how to handle it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml