Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Colic or food sensitivity/allergy?

My daughter has been very fussy since she turned about 2 weeks old.  She seems to have the symptoms of colic, where she cries for no reason and appears to be in pain, grunting and pulling her legs up to her belly and very gassy.  She is FF due to me being unable to produce more than a few ounces of breast milk a day.  I switched her to the Similac Sensitive about 5 days ago to see if it made a difference.  It seemed like it was helping a little, but today she pretty much cried most of the day.

What I am wondering is if this is colic, or if she may be lactose intolerant.  How would I know?  She has also had a rash on her face, but this could just be baby acne.  Should I try a soy based formula?

Also, I have tried giving her Tummy Drops and Gripe Water.  The gripe water seems to be more effective, but she goes absolutely crazy when I give it to her.  I squeeze a tiny bit at a time, but she cries so hard the entire time.  The box says to put with water or juice, but everything I have read says not to give water or juice to a newborn.  If any of you use gripe water how do you give it to your newborn?

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker