Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Warning to mommies! Cranial Molding

Hey Ladies

I was reading the post about the Fisher Price Rock and Play and I wanted to share my story so you don't make my same mistake. I wish I would have seen a post like this before it happend to me.

It is very important to change your baby's position whether it is from a bouncy seat, pack and play, and swings. I knew all of these things because I am a pediatric nurse practitioner. I knew not to lay my child down for fear of a flat head and torticillis. What I didn't know was that my cradle could cause this problem.

When my daughter was born in 2008, my son was only 14 months old. My daughter was small weighing in at 6 lbs 3 oz. She was under 6 lbs when we brought her home. Of course I needed to tend to my 14 month old son, so I would carry my daughter in my left arm, freeing my dominant right arm. She was easily cradled in my arm and I was still able to do most tasks.

One day, when she was about 3 months I looked down at her head and realized that her right forehead was protruding. I inspected her head and quickly realized what I had done. I was sickened. I had caused infant positional plagiocephaly or infant cranial molding just by holding her almost always in my left arm.

I could not believe it. I was so upset and of course filled with guilt. I shoud have known this. I used to educate parents on the causes of molding deformation. But I never educated anyone that your cradle could cause it. I never made the connection. I felt like a bad mommy. I felt like--why didn't anyone tell me this could happen?????

So that is why I tell you my story. So it does not happen to you.

My daughter is fine now. She was nearly self corrected within 3 months by doing lots of tummy time and avoiding the left arm cradle. She still has a slight deformation, but only noticable  if you were looking for it. When I see it, it still makes me cry. She is a beautiful, almost 4 year old little girl and smart as a whip.

So, be sure to change your childs positions in car seat, swing, or bouncy seat, but also change positions in your arm.

BabyFruit Ticker