Single Parents

Do you need a lawyer to go through the process of getting CS?

Right now my STBXH is in jail and the divorce should be going through soon as he does not have a lawyer and I am filing a motion for default. CS is currently suspended due to the fact I wouldn't get any anyways. This lawyer is ONLY handling the divorce and none of the other aspects. Once the divorce is finalized he will not be around to help with the CS part of it unless he gets another retainer. It will also be a few months until STBXH even has a job and I don't want to hold out on the divorce any longer.

Do I need a lawyer to file for CS? STBXH's friend said he intends to give me money as soon as he gets a job but I don't think it will be much if he even gives me any at all. I don't want to have to hire another lawyer as this one has run me dry and I can barely manage to pay my own bills. Paying for another lawyer is just going to take away money that I could use to support my son and prepare for my second child.

I plan on filing for legal aid but I might make too much in the court's eyes to get it. Is this something that people can handle on their own?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers