Babies: 0 - 3 Months

FTM Concerns - Help

My son will be 6 wks old on Wednesday.  I thought motherhood would come more naturally than it has.  I'm on maternnity leave for 12 wks and I'm not sure what to do with DS duing the day.  We do tummy time a few times a day with me talking to him and encouraging him with my voice and toys.  I try to play with him and some of his toys that light up and rattle when he's on his back and when I hold him, but he seems to get board quickly with anything but his swing with mobile.  I hate to put him in the swing too much, so I try to reserve it for when I need to run to the bathroom, put in a load of laundry, etc. or when he's fussy and nothing else comforts him.  He's a good baby.  He doesn't cry much and is a great sleeper but I'm worried that I'm not doing everything I should be.  DH and I have also tried reading to him, but he starts fussing and doesn't seem to like it.  Maybe it's an eye contact thing - we're looking at the book and not him, but we're keeping at it.  What do your daily schedules look like?  I'm surprised that I haven't seen other posts similar to this on the board.  Am I the only one?

In addition, my sister (the mother of a 2 yr old) has been asking me if he's playing with the toys he got for Christmas yet - never mind that most of them are for 3mos and 6mos +.  He's definitely not and doesn't really show much interest in toys for long at all.  Should he be showing interest and interacting?  DH and I have been worried about autism since we found out we were pregnant, as two boys on his side of the family have autism and we are older parents.  I'm 33 and he's 39.  He does smile socially some, but smiles are still mostly when his eyes are closed.  He is verbalizing some, too.  Sounds that sound like "whoa" and squeaks mostly.  No giggling or anything like that.

Any info on how your baby has "played" or interacted at this age would be helpful.  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml