2nd Trimester

2nd level 2 u/s & markers for Downs

Wanted to post this as a hopeful reassurance to others.  At 17 weeks, I was sent to the perinatologist for a level 2 ultrasound.  At that time the doctor told us we had 2 soft markers for Downs (extra dialation in the kidneys and missing pinky finger bones).  He told me that combined with my age my risk was fairly high.    My husband and I stressed about it for quite a while.  The doctor repeatedly pushed getting amnio, but I did not want it (several reasons: I prefer nonenvasive testing, and I hate needles etc...)  after several very tense weeks and talking to many parents I managed to calm myself down and believe that my baby was going to be fine no matter what and that we would face whatever challenges may come.  After a final push for Amnio, the Doctor rescheduled me for a second level 2 U/S at 23 weeks... The exam was the same, the same tech showed us all pictures and pointed out everything she was looking at (with no details) and as I waited for the doctor to come in, I was very nervous.  The doctor took about 5 seconds when he came in to say: "everything looks great, your baby looks normal" and attempted to leave the room... I grabbed him and started throwing questions at him rapid fire.  Apparently all of the "issues" are gone. Make one wonder why we had the first scan at 17 weeks? On the up side we got to have a 3D pic!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml