2nd Trimester

Possibly stupid circumcision question...

So I was just on the phone with SIL whose baby will finally be leaving the NICU this weekend (he was born 2 months premature) and she said something about how they're going to do the baby's circumcision at the hospital to make sure that he doesn't react poorly to it since he is still so small and frail. Well, I was confused because they aren't of any religious background that would require circumcision, and while I know that some people have it done for health reasons too, that was not something that I expected of them (for various reasons, long story). Anyway, I asked her why they were doing it, and she seemed really confused at my question and told me that all boys get it done at the hospital when they're born - other SIL's son did, their friends did, etc... I had NEVER heard of this before so I asked her why, and she said that the flap on the penis makes it look weird, and they don't want their son to be made fun of at school if he has a weird-looking penis... First of all, I didn't realize that circumcising for looks was something that EVERYONE gets done - I thought it was mainly done for religious reasons and occasionally for health (and maybe just here and there for looks). I also thought that it was a little weird that they're already that concerned about what the kids at school might say about his penis (which, I would hope, he wouldn't be parading around anyway), but that's another story. Anyway, my question is - does everyone really get their boys circumcised the way that SIL made it sound?? They do live in kind of a weird area where the healthcare system isn't great and hospitals do odd things sometimes (including inducing everyone whether they've passed their EDD or not, and whether they need to be health-wise or not), but that just seems reallllly strange to me... Am I just out of the loop?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml