2nd Trimester

untraditional. kinda long and possibly flameworthy

I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority every once in a while.  DH and I decided that no matter what gender child we have we won't use traditional gender colors or themes.  I've always hated that baby girls "had" to wear pink and have pink nursery and that baby boys "had" to have blue.  

We're going with really bright fun colors like oranges, dark blues, greens, yellows and reds in the nursery and If we have a girl I will put her in dresses but really fun ones that aren't always pink.

Neither DH or I are very into sports, we're both musicians and DH is a writer and English teacher.  So I'm not looking forward to receiving sports themed attire for a son.   

I guess my main problem is that my family has always been very sexist.  Boys can't wash dishes or do (household) chores and girls don't fix things and work outside.   Boys have always been more cherished and praised in my family too. I want my kids to understand that they're both equal no matter what gender they are.

Nothing against the people who do want to go with traditional pastels and colors, it is very cute to see little girls in flowery dresses, but that won't be all that my daughter wears.  

I hope I don't sound to crazy, my family is making me feel like I'm a horrible person. 

You've gotta learn to live and live and learn You've gotta learn to give and wait your turn Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker