Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Question about Pain & Pain relief.

DD had her shots on Wednesday. So far so good. We've had a little bit of diarrhea & lethargy. Nothing huge. The thing we have had a bit of is what seems to me to be pain crying. The shots she got in her leg muscles and when she tries to move, kick or what not she will squeal a bit, then cry.

I have put warm washcloths on her legs and that seems to put her to sleep. So I have been interpreting the squealing + cry as "Mommy, my legs hurt.". The doctor gave me dosing instructions on Tylenol. She said I could give it her when I got home on Wednesday and then again "as needed". She got 0.4 on Wednesday.

Well, I'm having some trouble with the "as needed" part. I don't know if DD is in pain.  The wash cloths seem to be doing a good job but then they get cold and I don't like having wetness everywhere. This morning I gave her half a dose of the Tylenol (so half the recommended dose). The pain indicator squeal and discomfort writhing seemed to lessen. She was clean, dry, fed and warm prior to administering the half dose. 

It seems that I interpreted correctly, but I don't want to even get close to over-medicating. That is why I gave the half-dose. I just want enough to address the pain. She is sleeping peacefully now. 

This is more of a expression of concern post then anything. I hate the "as needed" instruction. I called and the Pedi said that each baby expresses pain differently. That is true, but its not terribly helpful. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker