2nd Trimester

Suggestions! Meet the baby party??

Hi girls!

So my mom is throwing me a baby shower in February, so we are getting a baby shower to be clear. But since my folks live about 5 hours away and 8 hours from DHs family, it was only going to be my side. MIL stated to us last month that DHs aunts wanted to throw us a baby shower for his side.

However, this weekend MIL informed us that they now want to do a meet the baby party two weeks after he is born. She also told me to tell my family not to get a lot of the big stuff or neccessities so they could get it, like the nursery set, swing, bouncer, ect... She told us she was inviting all of her friends, which DH and I do not know at all. DHs sister just had her second and they threw her a second baby shower and a first baby shower, never a meet the baby party. We told MIL that we do not want the baby passed around to strangers at two weeks old and would want to wait until he had his shots at least (since they are complete strangers), and we want to make sure we have our necessities before he is born. This is our first. She told us all we need is the carrier and a couple blankets and didn't seem to understand we don't want to be building or setting stuff up after he is born. We will be so busy with LO and being new parents.

DH and I have no idea how to politely say we don't want a meet the baby party...DH stated he feels like his child will be passed around like a thing of meat, especially since we won't know most of people. We tried to bring it up to MIL and she got upset and ignored us for the rest of the day, she was visiting us from out of town (so very awkward!) Any advice would help!! Thanks :(