Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Convertible car seat help!

Hey mommies!  I have been going round and round on my FB page with people about convertible car seats. My son is pushing maximum density in his infant car seat and we desperately need a new one. This time around I want to buy 2 - one for each car (instead of transferring from car to car like we do now). After talking to my neighbor who is an EMT with the Fire Department and used to be the car seat installer at the police station, I was considering those that are 3-in-1s. Basically buy this car seat and don't have to buy another one because it will turn into a booster (with and/or without the back). She mentioned that and I thought it made sense. Pay a little more now but don't have to buy anything else. When I mentioned this on FB people started saying those don't have as good safety ratings. So I'm back to ground zero. Obviously I want a safe car seat for my son. But I also don't want to break the bank. I know people rave about Britax's but the cost is outrageous....and from what I can tell you still have to buy a booster later. I just don't know if we want to spend that kind of money. I have a few year's old version of Baby Bargains, but it's not very helpful because a lot of the ones I see out there now aren't listed in the book (probably because they are newer seats). I don't have consumer reports; but from what I've heard many car seats aren't even rated by CR. So is there anyone else who is looking for convertible car seats yet? What do you recommend? Have you heard about good ones (or really bad ones that I should stay away from)? Some that I had been considering were the Graco Nautilus 3 in 1, the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite, and the Evenflo Symphony 65. Help! Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker What's in my Think Tank? Canon 5D Mark II (two) Canon 5D (sold) Canon Xsi (with lens kit) (trying to sell) 35mm 1.4L 70-200mm 2.8L 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.2L 100mm 2.8 macro 580EXII flash 580EX flash Cybersyncs