Preemies
Options

When did you stop pumping or BFing?

I didn't post this on the breastfeeding board because I know you ladies understand where I'm coming from as a preemie mom.  I have been pumping since the twins were born in June (70 days in which the kids were in the NICU). Once they came home, I thought I would finally be able to breastfeed more often, but then they developed horrible reflux and had to have their feedings thickened with oatmeal cereal.  Finally on Prevacid, the reflux is under control, but now my supply has tanked.  I have been taking supplements for over a month and a half.  My OB even put me on a prescription to up my supply.  I still only get 2 oz. on average (total---that's both sides combined) when I pump. Basically, I am able to pump enough for the twins to each get a bottle and a half of BM a day.  I feel that when I try to BF, the babies aren't getting enough milk and are hungry shortly after.  The thing is, I am having the hardest time just throwing in the towel.  I feel like my body failed them once when my water broke so early and now it's failing them again because I want so very much to be able to give them as much breastmilk as possible.  Did anyone else feel this way?  It makes me so upset--I don't know if it's just time to give up or if I should keep on trying.  When did you stop?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers