Upstate NY Babies

My weekend recap / thoughts

We went to visit family in VT and had a great weekend!

But during the weekend, we visited more distant family (like cousins of cousins) because they have 4 kids - they have been talking about wanting to play with my girls (they met at a wedding last year), so we drove 1.5 hours.

We get there, and the mom was like, oh I have no idea where they are.  The kids are 4 (twins) and a 2 year old!! (the 4th kid is older - like 10)

This is kind of a farm, they had some apple trees in the back, and we spent a while looking for them.  Turns out they were across the road playing in a ditch/culvert.  They were barefoot, one was in her PJs all day.

We stayed through lunch and my husband and I were the ones that watched the kids the whole time.  The mom served them lunch but otherwise they did what they wanted and she was totally not responsible for them, we even changed the 2 year old's diapers (poop). 

For the most part they ran around rampant in bare feet (out in the road, ponds, climbed trees, climbed up on some crazy balcony on the side of the house).  My DD would try to play with them and then I'd have to tell her no because it was too dangerous.

And if the 2 year old got hurt, the mom never saw it, so she would pick up her kid and be like "Oh you're ok".  I agree with not making a huge deal out of little bumps and bruises, but she was clueless!

Plus we were eating lunch and the neighbors kids came running in that there were horses coming up the road, so the mom let her kids all run out to see 3 horses and she just let them abandon lunch..

I'm just irritated that we drove 1.5 hours so the kids could play.  I don't have anything against kids running around in their yard, but I was a little surprised she had no idea where even the 2 year old was!

And I was thinking of one of you ladies who was complaining about neighborhood kids coming by and disrupting meals!