Single Parents

Health Insurance for LO

I'm not sure if it's my pregnancy brain or what, but I can't seem to figure out what to do in regards to the baby getting health insurance. Here's some info:

• I was always covered by MSTBXH's health insurance. We're currently separated  and my coverage so far hasn't changed yet. I know it's just a manner of time before it does.
  • I left my job to move closer to family for support and I'm currently living off unemployment and savings.
  • My child will not be covered by any insurance shortly after he's born.
  • I applied for state medical help, but did not qualify because of my unemployment checks and savings.

MSTBXH is a medical doctor.

• Should I email  him and ask if he could contact his HR and  add the baby right after he's born? Or,
  • Should I find local low cost clinics to take the little guy for his medical visits until the court orders XH to pay for his health insurance? This may take a while because the child is not even born yet and we haven't started child support paperwork.

All I want to do is have health insurance for my child. I'm so worried about this. My biggest fear about emailing the father is the response I will get.

His last emails and phone messages to me were months ago and they were pretty nasty ones telling me to get an abortion. It's been about 5 months since we've spoken.

I will be devastated if the father of this child denies the little guy medical coverage under his insurance. I don't know if I could handle that emotionally. How could a medical doctor deny any child medical care let alone his only child? However, given his past communication with me, I wouldn't be surprised if he does exactly that.

Should I even attempt to ask him to add the baby or should I just wait for the courts to order him? 

Should I find low cost clinics in the meantime to take the baby for checkups and vaccinations and wait for the court order? I hate knowing that there will be a lapse in coverage and I will not have the security of knowing what pediatrician to contact in the middle of the night -should I need one. It's just an awful feeling.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml