North Carolina Babies

So Rex Hospital....

....has a great ER, FYI.  Tongue Tied

And how do I know?  Because we spent yesterday morning there with DD.  Crying

Visiting for the holiday weekend.  Staying with a friend in Raleigh....kids up early, adults groggy.  DD is standing on the couch, flips backwards, smashes back of her head on our friend's glass/metal coffee table.  DH grabs her, I immediately go searching for the goose egg (we've all been there, right?).  Instead, I see blood pouring down DH's hand (which is at the back of her head at this point).  I'm actually proud of myself.....because although I panicked....(i.e. screamed A LOT).....I went into auto-pilot.  I ran upstairs, grabbed my purse (in my mind thinking "insurance card!!!"), ran back down, started barking orders....told DH he'd be staying behind with DS, told my friend he'd be driving us to closest ER.  I did have a moment where I asked if an ambulance would be faster but he said no, he could get us to Rex in less than 15 minutes.  Longest ride EVER...but it was less than 15 minutes.

At this point none of us have even seen the damage.  DD has super thick hair, so I would've had to dig.  I just sat in the back with her, holding a towel to her head.  At the ER, they said it was an inch-long gash, and it had cut through both layers of skin...the doc said "want to see it, mom?" Um no thanks, I'm good.  My friend left us there and immediately went back for my DH.  He traded places and stayed with my DS and told DH how to get to Rex.  Kinda sucked that I was alone for the majority of it, because I was so ready to break down, but couldn't.  DH actually arrived minutes after they finished her up.  6 staples to the back of the head.  The doc said she hit so hard that the table actually chopped off some of her hair, which was apparent later as chunks were coming out.  DH ended up giving her a bath, I couldn't handle the blood that poured out of her hair as he washed her. 

In the end....the poor thing is fine.  I'm still having trouble getting past it.  I think of everything that happened, and the things that could've happened, and I get upset all over again.  I went through the same thing when DS has his first seizure 2 years ago.  I'm just glad I never looked at the open wound, so at least I can't see that image in my head. 

Lesson....keep those kiddos off furniture!!!!

**sigh**

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml