January 2012 Moms

Things just got significantly more complicated... WWYD?

Some of you may remember that I mentioned that we might be moving for DH's job.  Turns out he got the job, so pending a few more details, come mid-November, it looks like DH will be heading to Stockholm and I will stay here in France until my maternity leave starts around Christmas.  Obviously, as with any job, we want to make sure that we are all systems go before I quit my job to join him... he is in consulting and a little more disposable than your average employee, and I have a pretty cushy job as a translator/pa for a luxury hotel.All this means that I would be, in theory, just under the wire for air travel at 34w4d when I would move. 

So I got to thinking today, which I should probably never do, and realized that in order to get my deposit back on the maternity, I will have to notify them before I reach 6m.  It's not a huge deal, but $300 could go a long way in baby gear, but that led to another thought.

Should I stay here for the delivery and then move up to join DH, or should I deliver there.  Obviously, I am more comfortable with the medical system here, since I have already used it and have established a doctor, but the bigger issue for me is that there are only 3 flights a between Stockholm and the flights last about 2.5 hours. Meaning if I go into labor at 6:30a.m., DH couldn't be at the hospital until close to 6p.m. and easily miss the birth.  My MIL (who is my surrogate mother) and my best friend would be there, though.  Then there is the issue of getting clearance from the pediatrician for LO to fly a week after birth.

I can establish a MW, but not until DH starts working in Sweden.  We won't be eligible for regular health care there before then.  I also have no idea if it is too late to enroll in a maternity.  On the other hand, DH will be able to be there and there will no issues with getting LO back.  On the other hand no mom, no MIL and no best friend.  The situation is definitely more stressful, but is it worth the outcome?  It would break my heart if DH couldn't be there for the birth of his first child.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml