January 2012 Moms

WWYD? re:Birthing Location & switching providers

I'm going to try and be as brief as possible, I promise!

My mom works in a small county hospital about 45 minutes away from my house. When I got pregnant, she convinced me to go see a doctor at her hospital, because "oh, he's the best" and "oh, he saw your sister and she loved him" la la la. It was no skin off my nose to go see him, because honestly, I got off work that much earlier for my Dr. Appointments.

Saturday, my girlfriend had her little girl and we started talking about birthing suites, post-pardum rooms, and the like.I'm telling her about how crappy my first post-pardum room was: Shared room, no 24-hour vistors, husband left at 10pm, I had to spend 2 nights alone, never having taken care of a child before and it was a very stressful situation. Plus, on his 4-day well check, he had jaundice, and again I had to spend the night by myself while he was under the Billi lights.

Now with my first baby I had no choice in the birthing location, because I'm military and they chose it for me. This time around, there is no major Military hospital to go to, so I get to CHOOSE. Suddenly, I start thinking about the fact that I get to PICK my hospital. I talked to my mom, and apparently the County Hospital she works at doesn't have 24 hour visitors. They have shared post-pardum rooms.

My big question now is... do I switch OB's just because I want a better birthing location? Is that being TOO picky? If I do decide to switch, when is the best time? My husband and I do genuinely like our OB, and I think we'll be happy if we stick with him...but I do NOT want to go through that again with the post-pardum care.

Suggestions? Should I just do it now, and forgo my Mom's hospital, or should I wait till i'm closer to my due date? I don't want to wait TOO long, cos then I'm afraid they'll have to re-run a bunch of tests over again, and who knows what else.