Upstate NY Babies

Back from camping

We headed up to VT on Tues afternoon -

The funny thing is we stopped at McDonalds on the way up, we are sitting in the parking lot eating and the car starts rocking.  I asked DH if he was doing that (I was sitting in the back with the kids and couldn't see if he was moving his leg).  We thought it was maybe the wind because we have a huge Thule rooftop carrier - but we just totally realized it was the earthquake.  That would have been freaky if we were out of the car.

Anyway we got to the campsite around 3 and FIL got there right afterwards.  The strange thing is - FIL has been begging us for MONTHS to go, so we reserved a leanto for 2 nights ($80).  But a) FIL showed up without his girlfriend which is so odd since the two of them have been on us nonstop about this stupid trip, and b) FIL packed up the next morning and left at lunchtime, claiming he had a customer with an issue.  Seriously?  So we came back a day early because we kind of had enough and needed the extra hands.  I hate hearing myself whine but we spent $80 on the leanto and brought ALL the food for FOUR people for two nights, so now we have all this useless camp food piled up in the kitchen.  We dragged out camping chairs for FIL and his GF, the car was so packed I had to sit squeezed in the back between the kids and we filled up the front passenger seat with stuff.  Agh!!!  Why does he pull that crap?

Tues night my almost 2 year old totally melted down (2 hrs before bedtime) because she missed her nap, sobbing and crying for "blanket' and "sleepies".  I get in the tent with her, then my 4 year old wanted in (not sure why.. but she did go to sleep).  I completely missed out on any campfire or s'mores.. but hey I guess I could do without all that junk food :)  I fall asleep for a tiny bit, and then literally a herd of skunks shows up on our campsite.  DH was trying to shoo them away - shining the flashlight in their face - scuffing the ground - and they could have cared less.  There was one in our garbage bag and DH kept poking it with a long campfire stick, and it wouldn't leave.  So we clear the site of skunks, 4 year old wakes up and has to pee, didn't make it to the bathroom in time so we had to change her.. and then the kids woke up at 6;20 (instead of 8).

We did have lots of fun - swimming, walking around, good camp food, etc.. the kids really had a blast.  Some parts were a disaster but it was a good "trial run" for future trips!