January 2012 Moms

Name spelling help + am I psycho? :)

MH & I are now throwing around the name Isla-- or Ila.  Pronounced eye-luh.

It's not a common name, but what do you think is the most common spelling?  My great-grandma had the same name (although we're not naming the kid after her, per se) and spelled it Ila, but I don't have an attachment to that spelling.  I've just seen it spelled Isla so much more, that I feel that's the common spelling-- but MH feels differently.  I don't care either way, although I prefer the look of Isla when it's spelled out.

But then that leads to the debate of "will people call her is-luh?"  I asked my 9 year old niece how she thought I-s-l-a would be pronounced & she told me about a boy in her class named Isle- pronounced: "eyes-lee"  I wanted to beat my head against a wall & definitely don't want people to do that when they hear my kids name!

2nd question: Our very favorite boy name in the entire world-- that we swear we definitely want to use as a first name for our first boy--- is the same great-grandmother's maiden name.  Is that totally weird that (potentially) our kids would have her first & maiden name?  That seems slightly psycho to me, but the only ppl that would know would be my family.  She passed away 2 years ago.  It's not that she was this magical lady that I want to name my kids after-- she wasn't bad or anything, just wasn't super duper close with her.  But I love her first name & her maiden name & really want to use them for kids.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml