Babies: 9 - 12 Months

To invite or not invite?

I have a dilemma with the 1st bday party guest list. DH wants to include our close friends. For one couple, DH has been friends with the guy since high school. The wife and I were friendly for a bit, but long story short she is quite negative, created a lot of drama and talked about people (including me) behind our backs, and then is completely clueless as to why our 'friendship went downhill' with a lot of passive agressive FB activity. I'm just not in the mood for that kind of behavior these days. I  feel really torn about inviting this couple to our party. I don't want to put up barriers between DH and his long-standing friend, but I'm not really comfortable with having the friend's wife there and they also don't control their toddler son very well either. I just feel like it could add tension or drama to the party when I just want it to be relaxing and fun (duh...). WWYD--suck it up and invite them and hope she won't want to come; tell DH to simplify the guest list to just family to eliminate any hurt feelings; or simply don't invite this couple even if it causes more hurt feelings/drama on this woman's part?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml