Upstate NY Babies

Long night in the ER

Last night my DD had a reaction to peanuts.  I had no idea.  She has had stuff with nuts in it without a problem, or at least not a noticeable reaction.  I search long and hard for snacks that are safe for the kids at preschool because of nut allergies, but we never thought twice about that at home.

Anyway my DD didn't even eat any peanut butter - thank heaven - it literally touched her mouth and the tip of her tongue, and then she started being agitated, her lips swelled up SO MUCH.  It was really scary.  We didn't wait to see if it would turn into anything worse, especially since breathing issues can happen hours later.

We raced to the ER and they took us right away, took her vitals.  It was after 9 (she goes to bed at 10), so she was not happy.  Her lips/face was so big, she was so miserable and couldn't drink from her bottle (she takes a bottle for bed).

I thought they'd give her a shot, but they made us give her 3 meds (like in juice/bottle/syringe), including a steroid, benadryl, and something else.  After taking the steroids alone, her lips went down.  Total relief.

Now I have to take her to the Dr to be evaluated and have tests, we have an epi pen and a lot to learn.

Although it was a horrible experience, I am so thankful it was 'ideal' - my husband was home - it was late at night - no traffic - the ER took us quickly - she didn't reach a point where she had difficulty breathing.  I mean we could have been hiking or out of town or anywhere.

DD fell asleep in my arms around 11 but the rest of us (including my 4 year old) were up til after 2.  What a night!  Oh and the roofers started banging on the roof at 7am!