Babies: 9 - 12 Months

I think I have neighbour troubles... NBR

So we have this set of neighbours- a couple who we don't really talk to.  They have a golden that they leave in their yard, and a few times their dog got out of their yard, once some people returned the dog to our house and the neighbours weren't home so I put him in our yard until they got home.  Another time my husband saw their dog running around and returned him to them.   A month or so the woman had a baby, I tried to make some small talk to her but she didn't seem interested so I just left it and I will say hi if we happened to both be in our driveways at the same time. 

So last night we had a wicked storm and one of our trees snapped in half and landed in their yard.  They have a van parked in their backyard that i haven't seen moved since we moved in 2 years ago.    I am not sure if the van was damaged or not, so this morning I called my insurance and they told me that it is the neighbours responsibility to look after any damage to the vehicle.

So I was in the backyard with LO and the neighbour came home- and I tried to start a conversation with her about the tree- and maybe I said the wrong thing.  I asked them if they have a chain saw (meaning for us to borrow)  she shrugged said maybe and then sat down to have a smoke with her back to me.    Anyways,  I don't know what to do now-  I probably should have started with asking if the van was damaged.

WWYD?