Upstate NY Babies

swim advice for toddler

For a super cautious two year old that's never been in any pool or ocean would you suggest some sort of float or life preserver type thing or just hold them the whole time in the water? 

G has honestly never been to the beach to play or in a body of water larger than her baby bathtub (she still fits with room for toys and it conserves water so we still use it).  When we've gone on vacation so far the opportunity hasn't come up or the outdoor pool water was too cold.  I wanted to do swim class but the class I was waiting for didn't fit and now she is almost to the age where I would have to drop her off which would not work at all at this time. 

We'll be at a hotel with a pool maybe 3 more times before the end of the year.  I was working in a sporting goods store and looking at the floats for big kids but I'm not sure they'd be worth it or comfortable or help make her feel secure.  Actually I'm not sure she'll even want to attempt a pool at this point and I'm really regretting not gettting her in sooner.