Upstate NY Babies

Crappy news about my job

For those of you that don't know, I teach high school Spanish and I'm on maternity leave until Sept.  Last week my good friend from work called me to give me a heads up that things have gotten really bad in our district and they are increasing class sizes and assigning lots of teachers an extra class to teach so that they can make cuts.   So when my building principal calls me and says "I have good news and bad news", of course my heart sank.  Well, the good news is that I still have a job to go back to in September (THANK GOD!).  The bad news is that there are not enough classes for me at the high school, and so I will be split between the middle school and the high school.  I will be teaching 3 at the middle school and 2 at the high school and I have to teach 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th.  I have never had to teach 4 different levels before and haven't taught middle school since student teaching in 2000.  Next year is gonna suck.  I am gonna feel like a first year teacher all over again. 

And then the REALLY bad news is that now I am oficially the least senior Spanish teacher in the whole district.  In September, there were 4 people below me, but the combination of my unpaid leave and the layoffs mean that two people will surpass me in seniority and two people will not have a job next year.  I am so thankful that I have been able to take time off with my babies and still have a job to go back to, but I am terrified that at this time next year I am going to be finding out that there is NO position for me to go back to.  It is going to be a really stressful year.  :( 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml