Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

New car seat rules??? Need advice!

Has anyone else seen/heard the new "rule" the American Association of Pediatrics (or whatever the baby doctor group is called!) released about keeping your baby/toddler facing backwards until they're 2 yrs old? My hubby and I are really on opposite sides of the fence over this. He says that since he can grab the seat from the back (part facing the front of the car) and lift it - because the latches don't hold down the whole seat - that our 16-month old is safer facing foward. However, I've read that facing backwards is safer because it reduces the chance for whiplash if you're in an accident. Anyhow... our baby is just over the limit to face foward - she is 23 lbs and I'm not sure how tall (around 29-30 inch). Any advice? I hate to ask, but has anyone been in an accident and seen the benefit of either facing forward or back?

I feel like I should trust the doctors on this one, but I hate to go against my husband! We do have two sets - one for each car, so he placed his forward a couple weeks ago.