Upstate NY Babies

Pretend Play

Ok...so one of the things we need to work with Evan on is pretend play. Specifically - feeding a doll, offering a fake cup of milk to her, brushing her hair, etc. DH thinks this is ridiculous (as in "I'm ok with him not having a fantastic imagination")...and while I see his point it is one of the milestones they check for in Early Intervention and people who know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than we do think it's important.

Evan will sit and do puzzles, read books, and play with cars...etc...for a while, not forever..some times longer than others. But he is just NOT interested in feeding a doll (or a stuffed monkey or Buzz Lightyear :)

Did you guys have to teach your kids this? Or is it something they just picked up on their own. We have lots of nieces and nephews and I just don't recall anyone sitting down and teaching their kids how to pretend play like this - so we never did.

I did ask if other forms of pretend play are ok - because Evan will pretend to talk on the phone (I read that this is a good form of pretend play) but his SI teacher said he needs to feed the damn doll :)