Upstate NY Babies

Can anyone help with big kid mattresses?

So Eve has a twin bed for her big girl bed, but its pricey and we plan to keep her in it til college. (I slept in a twin basically til college, as did my DH and we were just fine). I went to Raymour and flanigan yesterday to pick out a mattress and I was totally overwhelmed.

The "youth" mattresses were crappy, for the most part.. and they only had 3 year warranties.. we want one with a 10 year warranty at least because that is how long we expect it to last. the salesman was zero help and told me that it didn't matter which one i picked because she didn't weigh anything.. Well.. she WILL weigh something eventually (hopefully). He told me he recommended softer mattresses for kids, even though everything I've read said to go firm..

I had no idea there were so many options.. I figured they'd only have a few that came in a twin, but basically every single mattress does.. So I wanted something firm without a big pillowtop, and I narrowed it down to two options.. One is like $269 (I think that is not discounted, so it would probably be lower) and one is $569, but he said it could be discounted to $499.. Thats a HUGE price difference. *I* really loved the $569 one, its probably what I would choose if I was picking a mattress for myself.. but i think in reality Eve doesn't NEED a $500 mattress..

I also kind of thought there would be more selection in a lower price range.. but they basically had one mattress that was crap which I think was under $200 and then a couple at $269.. and the rest were all $350+..

I think I am gonna go to another store tomorrow... just to see, but I have a feeling I will just be even more overwhelmed.. I have no idea how to pick a mattress for her..
Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
imagebabies
baby growth